Vicky Shilling (link at end) asked me recently what do I talk about in my weekly #CoffeewithColm blog and I answered truthfully that I have usually no idea until I sit to write, or take the phone out to record a vlog. That said, the subject matter always stems from a phrase I read or a sentence I heard somewhere along the way. When a word, a phrase, a sentence, a snippet, piques my interest, I add it to a list of possible Blog titles – takes seconds and gives me an ever-evolving reference centre for subject matter.
Then, as I prepare to begin, I read the list to see what jumps off the page – and only if it feels right and timely for me will I dive in, formulate my ideas and ‘think out loud’. Thank you for allowing me do so each week.
Today’s piece is a combination of a two captured sentences from my list, finished with a phrase I heard on a YouTube Video as I procrastinated starting (yes, me too!)
All three speak to the same theme – why are we, you and I, here?
The truth is, I have no idea.
Nope, I have no idea specifically why I am here, but I intend to find out.
You see, just because I have no idea, does not mean the Universe is as clueless. My belief is that it – the Universe, God, The One, call it what you will, has a very clear destiny in mind for me and for you.
And our destinies are different – they must be.
Allow me think out loud on the three phrases.
- I read recently, “Just as surely as your DNA differs from every other person’s on the planet, so does your individual destiny.”Fabulous phrase. I can never be you and you can never be me.Life is not one big Karaoke night where we all try to pretend we are someone else, at best a very poor, low res facsimile of another human being.I am fed up hearing people say they want to be the next Tony Robbins, Martha Stewart or Richard Branson.Stop, people. Stop trying to be someone you admire; instead become someone you admire (that’s deep – re-read as often as you need).
You will never be Tony Robbins, Martha Stewart or Richard Branson (unless of course you ARE Tony Robbins, Martha Stewart or Richard Branson – if so, say hi 🙂 ) but the good news is, they can never be you!
Only I can be me. Only you can be you.
Go be you.
That’s why you are here.
- A follow-on from that is a piece I read in a devotional, The Word For Today, where the author wrote…Austrian psychiatrist Viktor Frankl, a Nazi death camp survivor, said: ‘Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life…a concrete assignment that demands fulfilment. Therein he cannot be replaced…everyone’s task is as unique as his specific opportunity.’The author referenced Ecclesiates 9:11 – The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.He went on to say … if you don’t move when the light is green, you’ll spend your life waiting for ‘the right moment’ or ‘a time when most people will understand’ before you move forward. And you’ll end your life looking back with regret. Don’t let that happen to you.
There is no right moment.
There is only now.
Go be you today.
- As I said, I was procrastinating starting this piece so I engaged in many people’s favourite waste of time, social media surfing. Thankfully I stumbled across a wonderful video of a speech given by Australian comedian, Tim Minchin, who proffers nine life lessons (link at the end).Tim’s Life Lesson No. 6: Be a Teacher.Please be a teacher.
Whatever you do, be a teacher.
Some of you may be actual professional teachers, paid to teach, happy days – that’s what I wanted to be when I left school but the Universe had different plans – but most of the people reading this are not paid to teach.
Doesn’t matter. Teach anyway.
“Teach what, Colm?” I hear some of you cry.
My stock reply to most things applies yet again here. I have no idea.
No, I have no idea what you should teach, but you do. Perhaps you have never thought about it before.What are you passionate about? Teach that. If you are passionate about it, you are likely very good at it, so teach it. Could be a foreign language, the piano, singing, soccer, accounting, organizational skills, mothering, big brothering, gardening, coaching under ’12’s at something – I have no idea.
However, the one thing I am absolutely 100% certain of – the world needs it and therefore the world needs you.
And it needs you to be you.
Everyone else is taken.
So, my friend, as I conclude this episode of #CoffeewithColm remember:
- You have a destiny to fulfill but you can only do so if you turn up.
- There is no right moment to start, there is only now.
- What you learn, teach.
As always, thanks for thinking with me.
Watch | Listen | Read | Think | Act
Did you enjoy that? Fancy a sip of some of my recent “Coffee with Colm” Blog posts:
- Money is Time (or the fascinating link between your front lawn and a luxury watch) – click here.
- The Man on the Train And Other Stories LIVE in Dublin – click here.
- The Eight Life and Business Lessons Hidden in the David V Goliath story – click here
HIRE ME TO SPEAK. Consider me speaking at your event, launch, awards, or as your after-dinner keynote. Find out more here.
WORK WITH ME OR THE COBM | SOUNDING BOARD TEAM. Need help with your business? Check out the areas I and The Sounding Board of trusted experts can assist with. Find out more here.
FREE AUDIO BOOK. If would like a complimentary copy of my book “Feeding Johnny – How to Build a Business Despite the Roadblocks” in audio, narrated by yours truly so you get all the nuances, feel free to grab one here.
DEEP DIVE. If you would like to go deeper in your own personal journey, you can review the first step in my “12 Steps to Create the Life You Really Want” for FREE. Check it out here.
LINKEDIN. Perhaps the thing to do right now is simply to hook up professionally on LinkedIn – if that’s of interest, click here.